Welcome to Spence Club Inc. in 2018. As we move into this brand new year, lots of exciting things are happening in the Club! Those of you already involved, would be aware that the new Board was formally elected and appointed in November 2017. It is my honour and privilege to serve as the Chairperson for 2017-2019. I can testify to the exceptional skill-set, passion and expertise of our new Board. Our team of volunteers is committed to working tirelessly to provide outstanding professional development and networking opportunities. The Club is proud to note that it was inundated with nominations for the Board positions from a wide-range of highly qualified, talented young South Australian women. We are so thankful to everyone who nominated and I personally encourage all members to get involved and consider serving on one of our sub-committees. The best networking and results evolve when we are united in achieving a common goal. One of my personal mottos is: to be successful, and to truly make a difference to the customers/communities you serve, you need to network and work hard every day, not just on the days you feel like it.
Spence Club Inc. was established in 2014 and has promptly gained a reputation as the premier Club for South Australian professional women talent across all industries. Named after iconic South Australian suffragist Catherine Helen Spence, the Club is about celebrating and supporting young female professionals. You don’t have to look far to note that South Australia has produced some of the finest, inspirational, trailblazing female talent. This list from SA Weekend captures just some of the incredible women leaders South Australia has seen from 1836 to-date.
Key achievements for Spence Club in 2016-17 included:
- Launched the Club’s London Chapter, facilitated by our UK Board Member Serena Gasparini.
- Held five outstanding paid and complimentary events, coordinated by our Board Member Candice Keller.
- Launched the Club’s inaugural Spence Club and Inkling Women Scholarship.
- Launched the Club’s ‘Friends of Spence’ initiative, a partnership with influential South Australian leaders, Kate Gould and Hon Tammy Franks MLC.
- Donated funds to Endometriosis Australia, Bramwell House and the Legal Women’s Service.
In 2017-18, Spence Club will continue its commitment to bringing South Australian professional women together and providing opportunities to grow their careers, knowledge and networks, while passionately continuing its support of our wider community through philanthropy.
- Is inclusive, supportive, engaging and celebrates everyone’s successes.
- Strives to empower South Australian women to fulfil their potential and to retain female talent in South Australia.
- Provides a platform to converse and collaborate, as well as advocate for change.
Our new Board is actively exploring additional opportunities to extend the value offered to members, while continuing to hold inspiring networking events that enable meaningful and lasting connections.
I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank again our fantastic sponsors to-date, who have enabled us to provide even greater value to our members:
I encourage young high achieving South Australian women (who are not already involved) to consider joining the Club. Anyone interested in what the Club does, can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. Spence Club’s website will be updated in early 2018. For all general enquiries, please contact [email protected]
Quick Q&A with the Chairperson
- Tell us three things about you that people reading this might not know
- I’m married (my 10th wedding anniversary is coming up later in 2018!) I have a 20-year-old stepdaughter and a 3.5-year-old son (the half year is very important to note at this age of course!).
- I had an Australian Freshwater Long Neck Turtle for 25 years who sadly passed away.
- Of importance to me personally and professionally is: diversity, social justice, human rights, gender equity, ensuring all voices are heard and enacted (i.e. people of all ages and background), environmental sustainability and animal welfare.
- If you could give yourself an award, what would it be for?
- Resilience and hard work, and commitment to customer and community service and business excellence.
- What are your favourite things to do in your spare time?
- Seeing family and friends, outdoor activities, travel.